Monday 29 April 2013

01792211844 Annoying calls to new phone

I recently bought a new phone (Nexus 4) and have not given out the details to anybody, except Apple. Today I received an annoying automated call informing me of money I could possibly be owed (PPI insurance most likely). This was obviously some sort of scam, but how did they get my number? There are 2 companies which I have allowed to know my number intentionally, which are Apple and of course my phone supplier Vodafone.

After looking into who might have my number, which now seems to be anyone, my conclusion if that my phone number has been retrieved from one of the apps I have downloaded recently. These apps can access my phone information and send it back to the company or individual, then they will sell it on. So these free apps from android can take information from your phone and sell it on.

Here is a list of possible suspects
  • Lazors
  • Flow free
  • Real Racing 3
  • Logo Quiz
It could be none of these, but somehow someone has got my new phone number and sold it on.

4 comments:

  1. I am now getting text messages from 07860 034505 about an accident (which I have not had) and how to claim. This is another scam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to the conclusion that there is no real way of making sure your phone number is not used by an app. After doing some reading it does seem that it might depend on the Sim in the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some scammers dial the number randomly. It's probably what happened to you. I get calls like that, too, and I've come to accept that scammers can do wonders and get phone numbers. But whenever I get such a call, I hang up right away and report the phone number to http://www.callercenter.com as suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you might be right about a random phone number, at the beginning of this week I had a phone call from some scam company to my PC (Lync), the phone number is a company number, which is used mainly for internal communication and has never been published or even set as a contact number.

    ReplyDelete